My birthday is coming up, and I was going to make this into a video but I talk too much so I’m typing it out instead. Here are 24 things I have learned in life so far:
1. Self love is underrated. Seriously, love yourself. You are awesome.
2. I am worth more than a number despite being constantly assigned one. Grades, age, school ID, work ID, telephone, customer number, rewards member ID, weight, etc. That’s a lot so it sounds like the logic is against me but fuck it.
3. The world is incredibly cruel.
4. Animal love is so pure. Your pets love you and they are angelic beings.
5. Don’t stay in a relationship after it’s run it’s course. If you don’t love the person anymore, do everyone a favor and leave no matter how painful. It’s even more painful to stay in it for all parties involved.
6. Don’t stay in a relationship because you think the kids need both parents. It’s much harder on the kids to be in an environment where their parents dislike each other. Separate/divorce, figure out visiting schedules, and let your kids see both of you in a happier situation. Seriously. My life was greatly improved when my parents finally separated 6 years after they told me they were going to.
7. I can function way better on 0 sleep for 3 days than I thought. I also don’t appreciate that I’ve learned this fact.
8. Despite being told for 18 years there is more to life than school.
9. Also college was 100% different than what all of my teachers told me. Professors cancelled class because they were sick or tired. One of them didn’t even care what way we used to cite our sources, just as long as it made sense. A lot of the times class was outside in a circle in the grass. Tests were way easier than I anticipated. High school lied to me.
10. Always be true to yourself. and I wish I learned this earlier than I did.
11. It is 100% ok to be yourself.
12. Some people wont appreciate you for being yourself and that’s ok.
13. Not everyone will like you
14. It’s not your job to make them like you.
15. Failure is inevitable. So fail at something you like.
16. Most people don’t know how to not take their bad day out on you. I learned this from spending WAY too much time in customer service. As a customer service worker part of your job description is to stand there and be berated and then help them anyway. Which is why I sucked at it. You yell at me and I am done helping you. Next customer please.
17. Cliques exist outside of the high school cafeteria
18. Food does not fix everything
19. Alcohol might. (I’m joking… maybe)
20. Despite what your brain says you’re probably not the most disgusting human being alive.
21. It’s not fun to suffer alone (mental illness)
22. Water is magical
23. Dancing is incredibly freeing.
24. Someone out there loves you